Posted on January 2nd, 2014 in Timeshare | Comments Off
Wireless communication has given us instant access to information and products, but it has also allowed for scams that are more complex and harder to detect. The timeshare industry is plagued with scams and it is important to be vigilant, whether you are buying or selling a timeshare. The timeshare industry is the fastest growing segment of the travel industry, with timeshare resorts across the globe, from the Caribbean to Asia to Europe and the United States; with millions of dollars at stake, the scam artists are always looking for ways to get their hands on some of that money.
They are numerous scams perpetrated on timeshare owners. These include the charging of large upfront advertising fees, promising unrealistic sales prices, fake title charges, overpriced transfer services, or collecting bloated “relief fees” that can add up to thousands of dollars. Some scams even happen at the resort itself. People are often told that their points can be used toward the renting their timeshare or reselling for a profit; these scams can cost owners thousands of dollars.
How to Avoid Being Scammed When Liquidating Your Timeshare
- The first line of defense against a scam is your own common sense, the old adage – if it’s too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do your due diligence. Search the Internet for any reviews about the company you are working with. Checking out the company’s website may offer some insights – is it filled with content or does it appear to be a generic and poorly made? Take your time to do some comprehensive research before you make any decisions. You should also do some research on the transfer process – the more you know, the less vulnerable you will be to a scam.
- Avoid paying upfront fees. Legitimate fees are usually paid subsequent to the sale or are deducted from the sale price.
- Do not wire money. If someone asks you to wire money for fees or services, run far, far away from that company. Better yet, report it, because it is likely a scam.
- Get everything in writing. If someone promises you something, get that promise in writing.
Though scams abound in the industry, it is possible to find a company which values integrity and honesty in the timeshare business. HP Consultants is a timeshare consulting company dedicated to finding personalized solutions for everything related to timeshare, including timeshare ownership, timeshare usage, timeshare management, timeshare contracts, and timeshare liquidations, just to name a few. Though a small firm, they have around 100 years of combined timeshare experience and offer their services at a fair and reasonable price. It is worth every penny to work with an ethical company like HP Consultants to ensure you get the best advice concerning your timeshare without having to worry about being scammed. They do their business face-to-face and adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
In today’s struggling economy, many timeshare owners are looking to liquidate all or portion of their timeshare portfolios. Scammers and thieves are out there waiting to prey on consumers who are desperate to sell. Always look closely before you leap, but not all companies are scams. There are fee-based companies who provide honest and ethical service, and who possess the professional knowledge and integrity to safely guide you through all your timeshare needs.